Wednesday 22 February 2012

MassiveAnneFrank - Transition (Triathlon)

MassiveAnneFrank is a triathlete and musician... both are mysteries to me, but for different reasons...




“The sun is up but we can barely call it morning. The lake is still and hides the pain its about to deliver. I lube my ankles and wrists in an attempted to squeeze into a wetsuit that seems 3 sizes too small. A fellow competitor joins in the game and battles with the back length zip. Breathing is hard now, the rubber squeezing the life out of your lungs. We stand on the pier and look into the dark glass mirror...


All is still…


The siren goes and we hit the water. The lake erupts like a cement mixer, arms and legs everywhere. No time for manners here. A kick. A punch. This is all part of the race. I push on trying to get into my stroke… 1,2,3 breath, 1,2,3,breath. My mind is already on the bike. I will myself through the water and the exit ramp is closing. Out of the lake and I pull the zip down my back and begin to take the wet suit from my shoulders and arms as I ran to transition. This is the heart of the race. Wins are made and losers fall. Transition. Wet Suit off and Bike shoes on. Helmet and glasses. On. I take my bike off the rack and run pushing it by the saddle to the transition exit. Over the line and jump on the saddle. I can see competitors in front of me and I quickly slip down onto my aero-bars and begin to up the revs. Head down only looking up to see if I’m closing. I pass one… another… My legs are burning and I have already forgot about the pain in my arms from the lake. 1 lap down……..three to go…..I push on. 1 mile becomes the next. I see the entrance to transition and dismount, running with my bike to the racks. I rack my bike and throw my helmet on the ground. Bike shoes off and trainers on. 2nd time through the exit of transition and this is the final push. My legs feel tired but the aching is different to before. I grab a drink from aid station, 2 sips and dash it to the side of the road. Its not far now. I stride on, left over right over left, my breathing is quickening now and I can see the finish clock. The seconds tick down….closer…closer.


I collapse over the line.”

No comments:

Post a Comment